Skip to main content

Cribbing - How the horse works series


What is it?
It is not a disease but is an inappropriate behavioral pattern in horse, and can also be called 'Sterotypic Behavior'. Like humans animals can exhibit Obsessive compulsive behavior, that is non-lethal but can still be destructive, well horses to exhibit repitition and habitual behavior, that can be difficult to control and stop. Cribbing is when a horse places his upper incisorts on a hard object e.g. a stall door, and sucks in large amounts of air. They make a gulping noise, and will repeat it. It's not related to nutritional disorders or any illness, but is linked to boredom or nerves. This is more annoying than it is an actual illness, however it can lead to superficial health issues e.g. enlargement of the throat muscles. It can also be mistake for wind sucking. As the horse cribs the arch in the horses neck causes the horse to swallow air.

Symptoms?
Teeth marks can normally be found on a stable door, or any other wood pieces. Top front teeth, the incisors are more worn than would normally be in a 'normal' horse of its age. Arching the neck while grasping onto an object with the incisors. The horse could also make grunting noises whilst Cribbing.  
 
Causes?
Normally it can be linked to boredom, stress or nerves in a horse. Horses that are hyper active and appear tense and highly strung and are kept in a place where not a lot is  happening during the day, for example not enough time in the pasture, are more likely to develop such behavior issues. Other stereotypical behaves that are similar to this are stall weaving, where the horse constantly moves back and forth in its stall and pawing at the ground. Horses can develop several of these issues over time.

Diagnosis?
Cribbing Behavior is easily seen, this then makes it simple to diagnose. A vet is not required as it is not a medical issue, but it can also be a good idea to get the vet out as they could perform a complete physical exam which could show up underlying illnesses or injuries that are causing the stress or discomfort. The vet would also want to take a closer look at the horses mouth to see if there has been any changes in the teeth.

Treatment?
Normally you need to find the cause of the stress, nerves or just plain boredom. If it is due to boredom then the treatment is to find something that stimulates the horse making it less bored this could include stable toys or more activity during the daily routine. Also a Companion for your horse could help, also make sure to increase the amount of time grooming and riding your horse. If it is to vent too much energy then more time riding helps or more time spent out in the field. A cribbing strap can be used this is secured round the horses throat and behind his ears and jawline. It stops the horse from flexing his neck when he tries to crib. It is not painful for the horse and doesn't prevent the horse eating or drinking. An extreme treatment is surgery. However it is something that may never be fuly stopped.
 
Living and Managing the problem?
Keeping a horse stabled to long is what often leads a horse to this vice or behavioral issue in the first place. The closer you keep a horse to its natural environment the less likely the horse is to develop this issue. The best living and management of your horse is to give the horse enough activity and fun to stop boredom.
 
Until Next Time
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

  1. ugh cribbing! I hope this is something Henry never picks up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed Orion cribbing one time when I was grooming him. It was completely random, and I reprimanded him for it....after doing this twice, he figured out it was a bad thing and stopped. I think he was just bored from standing there, but he's pasture-kept, never has to stay in a stall if he doesn't want to, so I know it's not a normal occurrence. Weird though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he stopped for you.

    It's something a horse called Tobias that I used to ride all the time did and nothing stopped him no matter how hard you try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...