Skip to main content

How the horse works series - Swamp Fever.

What is it? 
Swamp Fever is a horse disease that is caused by blood sucking insects. The virus is a lentivirus, much like HIV to the human. Swamp fever can be treated through blood, saliva, milk, and body secretions. However the infection is mainly given by biting flies e.g. a horse fly. The virus survives up to four hours in the carrier. Mares can also transmit the disease to their foals. The biggest risk of transmitting the disease is when the horse is ill, as the blood levels of the virus are at theie all time highest.

Stages 
Acute
This form is the sudden onset of the disease at full force. The symptoms will include high fever, anemia, weakness, swelling of the lower abdomen and legs, weak pulse and an irregular heartbeat. The horse can also die suddenly 
Subacute.
This is slower, and has a less severe progression of getting the disease. The symptoms include recurrent fever, weight loss, an enlarged spleen, anemia and swelling of the lower chest, as well as other symptoms.
Chronic.
The horse tires easily and is unsuitable for any work. may have a recurrent fever and may show signs of anemia, may relapse to the subacute or acute form, even several years after the original attack.
 
Causes?
Equine Infectious Anemia also known as Swamp Fever, is a virus that is carried from horse to horse, it is often carried by biting insects for example, mosquitoes. However it can also be transmitted by needles that are not sterilized and other medical equipment.

Symptoms?
Symptoms can include the horse having a raised temperature, the horse could appear and feel extremely weak, losing coordination, and their overall health will decline. The fever will tend to spike very high and then decrease, this can happen either very quickly or it can take a while. Jaundice and Fluid Retention may develop, also Small lesions may form on the tongue.

Effects?
Symptoms may disappear causing the horse to seam as though it has recovered. However the horse may remain a carrier of the disease for a long period of time, the only 100% way to make sure that the horse has completely got rid of the disease or whether the horses is still carrying the disease is by doing a blood test called 'Coggins'.

Prevention?
A Coggins test can identify the possible carriers of the virus, the individual can then be treated appropriately. Insect Control can also help to prevent the horses from getting Swamp Fever.  It is important to try and destroy the flies and mosquitoes that transmit the disease by doing this it might cause a decrease in the number of cases a year that have Swamp Fever.

Treatment?
Horses that are found to have Swamp fever must be kept in quarantine and away from other horses to make sure that the horse is not spreading disease to other animals in extreme cases it could also mean that the horse needs to be put down.

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

  1. An actually horrible disease....good information to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome,I'm really enjoying doing this series :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...