Skip to main content

Lunge Jumping

Monday was Pony Club night, my favourite evening activity of the week! This week we were looking at how to correctly cool or sponge down a horse, I loved it cause we got to do it on Vettie who is Fiona's horse. We also got to check him over for cuts and Jaimie-Leigh noticed that there was a cut. When we had done this we decided that it was going to be time to feed the horses. Everyone good their own horse or horses and had to feed them, we had to make sure that we did it in the same order that they would normally get it as horses love routine. We started looking at the 10 feeding rules, which are something that I did not know, I knew some of them once I heard Fiona saying them but they were not in the front of my mind. We all kept getting really distracted so we only got to look at the first 3 of them. Next week we are going to look at all of them! 

When we had finished this we got the choice that we could either ride the horses or lunge them, then Fiona said lunge jump them, this is something that I have never done and I loved the idea of doing so we decided to do this this week, then the riding another week as it is the simple things that we need to practice to do the bronze level, it's really easy things like walk, halt, get on and off. Things like that. We gave the horses a quick brush over and checked their feet and then put their bridles on so that we could lunge them. It was interesting because we also got to see little Rocky (shetland pony) do this and I have to say it was one of the cutest things that I have ever seen!! Wish I had got some pictures, maybe I will do next time. When I first started trying it with Gatsby I couldn't get him to do it on one rein (going to the left, which I think is also the rein I struggle with when I am actually riding. So we decided that we would switch reins. Wow it made such a difference, I could get an eye on the jump and position him in the right place, and get him over the jump, in both the trot and the canter, this was something that I really wasn't expecting to do but I could do! I loved it and I think Gatsby enjoyed it, the thing I like about Gatsby, is the fact that he is so forgiving I could make a mistake and he would forgive me and just try honestly. 

Fiona also told me that I need to trust my gut instinct because I know more than I think I know, the first time was when Fiona was asking about colours and asked what colour Rosie is everyone answered chestnut which was right but only part of the answer, she then asked what with, what colour was her mane and tail. Straight away I thought she had a flaxen mane and tale and I thought that was wrong and that it couldn't possibly be right but I was. Next it was when she was asking about what colour Vettie is, initially I thought of saying brown but then I realised he was a bay because he has black points. The final time that I realised that I knew more than I thought I knew was when we were putting the jumps up for little rocky, she asked what a cross rail is and we could all do it, she then asked what the other type of jump is that's a vertical, but she used another name that I can't think of, and I asked if it was when the pole was going straight across, she said yes and then told me to change the jump so it looked right so I did. She told me that I need to believe more in myself because a lot of the time what I am saying is right. It surprised me how much I actually knew, that I had read at different times and I think I had just remembered. 

Pony Club was then over, because we ran out of time, the two hours just fly by so quickly so we put the horses back in and ended it there. Next Time it'll just be Elaine that is there and we will be looking more at the feeding rules. I can't wait! 

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...