Skip to main content

A ride on Gatsby and Rascal.

Riding two horses in one day. This morning I got up to go riding, I turned up at my stables to find that for once it had cooled down a bit. There was lots of clouds and it looked like it was going to rain but it didn't. I spent half an hour grooming Gatsby, and giving him some love. Then at 1 I got on JaimieLeigh  wasn't there for the lesson today but Alice was. Before I got on we made sure that both of my stirrups were level. Then when I got on Fiona and my mum looked to see whether I was still level and I wasn't this proves that my hip is slightly out of place. I spent the first 15 minutes riding Gatsby making sure that he moved willingly and forward. I then got off and put the belt on it's job is to hold my hip in the correct position not the position that it is at the moment. 

When we put the belt on and I got back on Gatsby we noticed an immediate difference, I was so much more level and Gatsby was a lot more responsive. He was amazing! He turned from me moving my hips.  I was able to do shoulder in and leg yield and work in an outline. I was amazed at how much difference the belt actually made. It's something that I am going to have to get used to riding in but is going to be extremely beneficial. 

If you look at this picture you can se that my pelvis tips ever so slightly. It's not a big difference but it is a big enough difference to cause a problem.

This pictures shows it a bit better! 

Now here is the difference. This photograph shows the belt that I have to wear the pushes my pelvis in to the right place, here you can see that my legs even up and aren't odd (or if they are it's a tiny bit).  
The simple fact that I love Gatsby.





When it got to half way Alice and I swapped horses and I jumped on Rascal. The first thing that I noticed was how supportive his saddle is, Rascal has a dressage saddle. I was able to keep my leg in place. However I was still tipping one way in Rascals saddle this confirms to me that it's not Gatsby that is fully tipping me it is my hip as well.

Rascal was great to ride I was able to pick up a nice outline with him really quickly and I couldn't believe it. He was a more forward horse than Gatsby is and he spooked at something in one of the fields and I was amazed to still be able to sit the spook so that is good to know! His leg yields felt really nice and forward I was able to move him over and feel him crossing his legs underneath him. He gave me a better idea about the position that I need to be in. Even though I prefer Gatsby it did me good to get on a different horse. 

Sitting on Rascal for the first time ever you can see that my hips are more level here, as I'm in a dressage saddle and have the belt on.



Really like this photo, first time riding a different horse in a while. It was eventful and I enjoyed it. 
On this photo you'll notice that even with the belt on and being on Rascal with his saddle I am still tipping myself to the right.  
Riding a different horse made me think more about my position but it also made me happy because I know I can get on a different horse and still work them in an outline.

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...