Skip to main content

Riding Vettie - 23/11/13

Today has been a good day for my riding. I was riding Vettie today and after the two good lessons I had had last weekend I was feeling a lot more confident about my riding. I knew that I wanted to work on my position mainly my legs as my right legs heel comes up. 

 I spent a while warming up making sure that Vettie was nice and loose. I also wanted to make sure that I had got an energetic walk so that when I wanted to pick up the contact it would be easier to do. When I started picking up the contact I was surprised that Vettie was listening incredibly well to me and I was able to drop him in to an outline. Two weeks ago I had been struggling with getting Vettie in to an outline but this week I could do it. Once I'd got the outline more consistent in the walk I moved up to the trot. 

In the trot I had to find the right balance between being firm and half halting him and keeping the energy flowing. It was important that I kept my position very tight and didn't tip forwards. I was so surprised to find that I could get him in to an outline in the trot. It felt so nice to be able to ride and do what I wanted to do. 

I finished the lesson on a really good note. I also noted that during the lesson my leg and heel were gradually becoming a lot stiller. I am so happy with the work that I have done and it has made me feel a lot more confident in my riding. I've also been working on making sure that I keep the horses mind busy so doing lots of transitions, circles, bending and serpentines. 

I love this photo. I don't know what it is but there is something that I really like about it. 
More pictures to come. 
Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream 

Comments

  1. You guys are looking great!! I have to ask, and I'm not criticizing, why do you have your hands so low and wide in all of the pictures? Again I'm just curious, not trying to be mean or anything. :) Your position and legs look awesome by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! no you're completely right, i was thinking the same thing when i looked at the picture but I'm not sure why I was doing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I'm the same way. Holding my hands too low is one of my worst habits. My trainer has me chant "heavy elbows, light hands, heavy elbows, light hands" over and over to myself and it helped me break the habit. :D Keep up the great work!! I love watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try that out! I've always struggled with my hands when trying to get a horse in to an outline! It's something that i need to work on. Thank you :) I'm glad you enjoy my journey :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...