Skip to main content

Practicing my dressage test - 17th January 2015

Today I rode Gatsby, it was amazing! I have now managed to remember my dressage test well the 2nd one (the hardest one) and started my walk warm up by practicing it. I walked through the whole test before moving on to doing sections of the test in trot. I warmed up for about five minutes on each rein in walk and then roughly four minutes in trot, before picking up. At this point I did not want to ask for the canter because I know that canter work it what wares me out and this made a whole difference to the test. I managed to ride it through a lot more positively. The only bit of canter work that I did in the warm up was half a 20m circle twist.


I then moved on to riding through the test. For me I needed to not stress out and just focusing on my riding at the end of the day. I KNOW what I am doing, I CAN ride all of these movements separately now all I need to do is string them together. So when I went on to riding through the test this is what I needed to remember.


When I rode through the test, Gatsby got a little bit excited, he wanted to canter as soon as we came off the centre line. We had more consistent amounts of outline and we even managed to pick up the outline again after we did the canter which is something that I normally struggle to do. I rode through the whole test and even managed to get the canter parts right, we had a couple of moments in the canter that I need to work on for example the main part of the canter is cantering up the long side, doing a 20m circle at C and then cantering down the next long side, this is on the right rein. Here I fell out of the canter for about 5 steps on the 20m circle but I DID manage to pick it back up again and ride the rest of the test through. On the next part of the canter I did fall out of the canter just before the marker but this is something that I can work on in the future. Even though this is only the second time that I have rode through the test my positive thinking and attitude is a lot better which meant a greatly improved ride on Gatsby! I even have video footage of me riding through the test. 


We then spent 10 minutes really cooling down, Gatsby worked so hard for me and I am so happy with the work that he gave me, so I made sure that he got a nice stretch and cool down, which he loved. After we had cooled down we discussed the things that we needed to work on and this is what we got. 


- Canter - we need to keep it together all the time and go more in to the corners when we are cantering, this is something that we can do. 
- walk steps, in the test twice you have to transition from trot to walk for 3-5 steps then back up to trot. 
- using the corners of the school more effectively. 
- Getting the outline 100% of the time meaning that we are always working at our best. 
- Riding Gatsby in a snaffle, at the minute I think that he is in a gag, but I think we will ride just as well in a snaffle but we will soon see. 

Now to finish off this post I have decided to do one of the things that is on my list. I am going to list five things that Gatsby did well after each ride for a month so here goes. 

1) Gatsby was listening really well, he knew what I wanted him to do and he did it. 
2) Gatsby softened and worked in an outline very well. This is something we have been working on for a while and today he was very good. 
3) Gatsby was extremely good at putting up with my 'noisy hands', something that I am currently working on. 
4) Gatsby's canter work was strong and forward, he was really willing to give me what I want, I love that this horse will always try his best for who ever it is that is riding him.
5) He was extremely good to be washed down and dried off after our ride.

I hope you enjoyed this post and the videos, feel free to leave my any constructive criticism or comments that you guys have they would be greatly appreciated. 

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream


Comments

  1. You guys look great! What is the difference between a gag and a snaffle? I've never used a gag before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not 100% sure what the difference is myself, (I find that bits are really confusing to know what's what) I think a gag applies more pressure and is harsher than a snaffle. (Anyone that reads this feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti

possible broken hand x3.

hiya guys well it's been a few days and I was planning on updating you all today. Unfortunately I won't be able to go in to as much detail as I want to because I am having problems typing because it looks like for the third time I have broken my hand again!  In the exact same place, how rubbish is that? But they can't tell me because it will not show up for another two weeks on an X-ray so at the minute it's back in a splint and I've got to go back to hospital in two weeks.  Well Saturday I got to ride Gatsby again. We have been working on getting him in to an outline more consistantly but it took me seeing Fiona riding Pumpkin Pie for me to know what it was that I needed to do for Gatsby to work properly in to an outline. We got some really good work in the walk and trot (I have got pictures) and slowly we are starting to get it in the canter as well but by the time we move on to canter I tend to feel quite tired and weak on my left side. We did an exercise th

Hello strangers!

 Wow it feels like a life time ago since I updated my blog let alone since I actually started first writing this blog. So many things have changed and I’ve kept thinking about restarting this but every time I think about doing it life gets in the way and before you know it I just haven’t done it.  So where do I start, how about with the big fella himself. My midnight magic is now 8! He has a heart of gold and after a particularly rough year is definitely coming out of the other side. Magic is a jumping lover and if you let him pick I think that’s all he’d ever do. He’s spent a lot of time working on his flat work which in the long run has really helped to develop his jumping. Last year magic suffered a horrible injury, he damaged his suspensory ligament on his front left leg and on the same leg damaged the collateral ligament that goes to his coffin joint, unfortunately for him he had a pretty bleak prognosis, with only a 30% of being even field sound. With a little bit of luck, blood,