Skip to main content

New Experiences - Bareback.

Well for those of you that have been reading my blog for a while you will know that I've always wanted to try riding bareback but that I have never had the opportunity to do it before. A couple of weeks ago I told Fiona that I really wanted to do it and explained that I thought that it would help me really be able to feel how to get Gatsby in to an outline. After explaining this Fiona said I could have a go and three weeks later thats exactly what I got to do. I started out by riding with the saddle, just to be able to warm up, making sure that I could swing in the saddle without feeling restricted, we did a bit of walk, trot and canter work and mainly focused on getting him in the outline. I wanted to make sure that Gatsby was forward but also that he was willing accepting contact and moving in to the outline. I wanted him to feel that he was doing the right thing by accepting small amounts of pressure on the rein and only having to occasionally reinforce the contact and make it stronger. 

After I'd rode for about 30 minutes with a saddle, it was time to try riding bareback. As you'll all know Gatsby is quite a big horse so we were trying to figure out for a while how I was going to get on him. I knew using the mount block I wouldn't quite be able to get the right amount of stretch as I'm just that little bit too small and I was riding in jeans (I won't be doing that again). So we decided to use the fence on the outside of the arena, to give me that little bit extra height so that I could just swing my leg over on to his back. It went surprisingly better than I thought that it was going to go and I was really happy getting on. 

The first few steps felt STRANGE, I could feel every single thing and it was weirding me out, I could feel his shoulders moving, his back lifting when he dropped in to the outline. Just EVERYTHING. To start with I felt quite tense (because it was something I've never done before), but as time went on I felt able to relax and chill out and move freely. Gatsby looked and felt happier without a saddle than he did with a saddle. Fiona told me that I needed to do some trot work to see what it felt like and at first I was a bit like OH. MY. GOD. I can't do that. However when I gave it ago I found it so much easier to actually be able to sit to the trot, I felt like I literally could just stick to his back. I was so happy with it. We managed to get moments of really good strong outlines, we just need to work on steering more when I don't have the saddle, as I know that he listens more to hips and my hips just weren't quite level today. But that is something that I am working on at the minute through doing lots of stretching, walking and hopefully swimming to! Hey I might even get motivated to join the gym.  I learnt so much from riding Gatsby bareback today, and I know that the more I do it the stronger my riding is going to get. So Fiona said next week we are going to start off by just getting rid of the saddle straight away. 

I will upload the photographs from todays lesson tomorrow, as right about now i'm just ready to crash in bed and get some sleep, as i have a busy but fun day ahead of me tomorrow. 

Tomorrow I'm off to the last day of Chatsworth horse trials so I am sure that I will have lots more photographs for you guys then. So stay tuned! 

Until Next Time 
AmberRose

Comments

  1. That's awesome! Bareback is fun! I first rode bareback on a 17 hand Thoroughbred Percheron, so I too had trouble getting up. I'm happy you got to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am going to be trying it again next week it was so much fun I loved it! aha worth it, even if it was a struggle to get on lol,

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! I LOVE riding bareback. Being able to feel everything they do is so cool and I sit the trot so much better without a saddle too. :D I'm glad you had so much fun with it. Wait until you canter bareback! It's so awesome! It's not hard at all! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My riding teacher was joking about me cantering bareback it's definitely something I would love to do one day but I really need to get my confidence up first! I find it easier to sit the trot and get Gatsby in an outline without stirrups or a saddle !

      Delete
    2. I'm the same way about trotting bareback! Cantering is a lot of fun, just stick to straightaways at first. Maybe you can try cantering him down the long side. Can he do a fairly good canter to walk transition? That's the only thing I don't like is the canter/trot transition bareback so I just normally skip down to the walk lol. Keep experimenting with bareback and you'll be trying lots of fun things. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...