Skip to main content

Vetscepades

Well guys I felt like it was time to give everyone an update on what's going on with magic. The short and simple of it is my boy decided too give me an extremely expensive Christmas that came out in the form of three different vet bills. A week ago tomorrow I had to have the vet out for the first time this was after a week of looking off on his back leg,she gave him bute and diagnosed him with having a locking back stifle. She recommended that he needed to be going out a little bit more than he has been , so Sunday I put him out in his knew field for the day and bought him back in at night time.

This brings us to Monday morning, I went to bring him out the stable and he was hopping lame. Que second phonecalls to the vets and second call out, as it was now his front leg that he was having problems with! I was reassures by the vet that came out that it was just a bruised heel to keep giving him bute and box  rest for a few days and that she couldnt tell me to ooutlice it due to the fact of if he kicked me I could hold her responsible. At this point there was no heat in his foot just sensitive to touch. Me being the overly cautious horse owner that I am decided to poultice his foot anyway. By the next morning his foot was red hot and stinking.

I asked my farrier to check him and got the confirmation that magic had got m infected popped abcess and a split frog. I got told to ring the vet again, I decided too ring a different vet they came out and gave him antibiotics and telling me to poultice his foot twice a day until the infection was gone then dry poultice it for a few days.
Today was magics first day back out in the field, his foot is still all wrapped up but he went back out as he is much happier and more himself now to see what tomorrow will bring. But for now I'm exhausted and want to cuddle up in bed with my man. I hope you have all had a wicked Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

LOVE 
Amber and Magic 

Comments

  1. Sorry your Christmas was so expensive and sucked. :( My New Year has been a total nightmare so I feel your pain..

    Abscesses are such a pain. Thrush can be a problem too. It will cause heel pain which causes them to walk wrong which can lead to abscesses. It's fairly easy to prevent though just by daily cleaning of the hoof and I even spray the bottom with salt water. It helps clean all the gunk out of the crevices and the salt kills the bacteria. I hope he feels better soon.

    I'm glad you decided to go with a different vet. That first one sounds.... not good. I'm glad he's back out in the field. Movement is the best thing for locking stifles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As harsh as it may sound I'm glad it isn't just me having a bad time at the !moment.

    He's improved loads and is a lot happoiee now but getting rid of his abcess has been a nightmare. Im hoping that we have got rid of it now though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...