Skip to main content

Today's Riding lesson and.... NO RAIN!!!

Hey again,

this time I am going to tell you about the lesson that I had today. When I first got there Fiona was about to ride Vettie, after I had asked her the day before if I could see her ride, she said that I could watch her. I watched her do some walk work and then went back to grooming Gatsby when I got a call from someone saying 'Amber, Fiona says can you go and watch her do some trot work'. I watched her do some and she said that I could stand in the centre of the school and watch her do some of the shoulder in. She then showed me her coming down the centre line on Vettie, and doing the shoulder in to the right til half way then back straight and shoulder in to the left. I could really see how she was doing it and kept that image in my head for when I got on. Fiona then showed me a walk to canter transition which was awesome to see and then also some Fly changes across the diagonal which was sooo cool to see I was literally in awe, I then went back to tacking up Gatsby but before I did this Fiona said that one day I could ride Vettie and I was like OMG!! COMPLETELY EXCITED AND IN SHOCK! EEPPPPP. 

After this I helped Elaine finish tacking Gatsby up and put his boots on and then I took him in to the school and got on him, and when we got in the school we heard this really really annoying noise that stayed there for the entire lesson. It was someone that was doing road works on a road nearby and man was the machine they were using nosie. To start with I did some walk work making sure to do plenty of transitions making sure that Gatsby really responds to the leg. The more transitions that I did the more responsive and forward he became but also the more straight he became. I also managed to keep my elbow tucked in, and did plenty of circles. We then moved up to the trot for a few minutes doing more transitions, sitting trot and rising trot and making sure that Gatsby stayed in an outline Fiona said that she could tell that I had got the hang of it because Gatsby was more willing to drop in to an outline! During this time we were supposed to have been assessing how our riding was going we then came back to the centre and discussed what we thought had happened during the first 20ish minutes. I said that the more forward he became the more straight he became and the easier he was to get in to an outline. 

After this we moved on to leg-yields and I was in complete and utter shock because Gatsby actually did it and I could feel him crossing his back legs, and moving he had this bounce in his trot and it was great!  We spent a lot of time working on this trying to move my shoulder back and open my hips up allowing the horse to move and NOT to hold the horse back by having stiff hips. I also decided that I was going to try and do a medium trot down the long side and then collect back to a working trot on the short side and down the next long side attempt the shoulder in. I really struggled with it to start with but towards the end I could feel the change in his trot. After this I had a couple of goes going down the centre line doing the shoulder in exercise that I have mentioned before. To start with Gatsby was really drifting from the centre line so I worked harder on not getting such a big turn from the shoulder in and focus more on getting him straighter and not drifting. After doing this without any drifting I slowed back down to a walk and let him stretch and relax. That was the end of the lesson the hour went so quickly and then I untacked him and put his stable rug on and gave him lots of hugs and attention, but did tell him off when he started to bite a bad habit that he is getting in at the moment! Naughty Gatsby. 






Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

  1. How cool that you will be able to ride Vettie one day. Sounds like a fun lesson. Love the pics/video you guys look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited when she said that I could ride Vettie. Was really awesome. Thanks Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! Sounds like you did great! Gatsby is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bebe, I'm biased but I have to say i love how cute he is

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics and video! looking good :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...