Skip to main content

yesterdays own a pony day

Okay so this is the first of two posts that I am going to be doing between now and the end of the day, yesterday was my 'Own a Pony day' with Gatsby and I loved it I came away completely aching but it was worth every single minute of it and I wouldn't possibly change a thing. I had to get to West Hallam Riding Centre for 9am, and when we got there it wasn't looking like the best of starts for Fiona, as one of the livery horses owned by Susan had got Colic, Elaine who works at the yard was working her horse round the outdoor school and trying to make sure that he didn't go down, the vet was called out and came out as soon as possible and when they arrived they gave him an injection and the instructions that every 20minutes he was to be walked for 5 minutes and I think she wasn't allowed hay for another two hours. During the day she seemed to pick up and calm down and when I got to the yard today Susan was riding her round in the school. 

The first thing we did on out 'own a pony day' was start the yard work, Gatsby was having his bedding changed I can't remember the name of the bedding that he had got before but it was being changed to Bedmax, Molly another one of the girls there for the day helped me to do his stable as there wasn't enough tools to allow her to do her own stable. She did the hay nets and water and then helped me spread the bedding out. We took all the old bedding out just leaving the bits that were clean/dry like Fiona told us to, while we waited for Fiona who was with the Vet, we started working on Solomon who is Elaine's horse's stable. We weren't putting new bedding in here so we just took out the dirty bedding leveled out and neatened it up, re-did his two hay nets and then re did his water. By this time the vet had left so Fiona got three blocks of the bedmax shavings down and put them in gatsby's stable. We undid them and made sure that there was no bumps or lumps in the bedding and then started to add in banks on all three sides, and level out the shavings making what ended up looking like quite a good bed. At one point Fiona and Elaine came to look at what we were doing and we were breaking up the bedding but instead of using the tools we were kicking it and doing it the fun way!
Gatsby's new bed!
After this we filled up all the spare haynets so that when they are needed they would just be ready to go in to the stable and they wouldn't need to all be done, they were filled as full as possible making sure that the horse got the most out of it. After this we had time to sweep the yard and then we had a break and a snack and time to put wellies on! It was time to fetch in the ponies from the fields and man where those fields muddy I was scared that my welly was going to fall off, Gatsby met me half way and let me put his head collar on him straight away and then we had to keep walking as he doesn't like to be standing in the mud so we had to walk through it as easily as we could doing without our wellies falling off. 

'Amber there's new bedding in my stable, it wasn't here yesterday where did it come from? But I plan to miss this up really really quickly just because I can do!!!'
After we bought all the ponies in we had a lovely grooming session. We had to groom cracker really quickly because he was being used first as well as Rocky so they were our main priority! All the other riders got split between Rocky or Rascal except me who got to ride Gatsby this gave me an hour with Molly to groom the pony! He looked all cute by the end of it and mud free as just before I was bringing him in he decided that he was going to be a nice horse and roll in as much mud as he possibly could do! 


We then had lunch and it was time for Molly and I's riding! I got on and one of the boys who was on the own a pony day decided that they wanted to watch Molly and I ride. Gatsby was ready to be worked and he felt amazing! He was so well behaved and so willing to drop in to an outline something that I wasn't expecting and then we had some amazing shoulder in's during which he decided that he was going to be all smart and fancy and the little boy said to Fiona 'that's wierd'. I suppose that's one way to describe the moves that Gatsby was doing. The half an hour seemed to fly by and after this we did a really it was the two boys, Fiona and I against Elaine, Drew, Molly and Anna I think that's her name! It was a dead even draw and each runner had to run from A-C and then back again after just riding, I am suprised that my legs could even run by the end of it and man can those little kids move fast! After this we did a quiz and we had to get the names of the horses, ponies, grooming equipment etc. I got the highest mark with 9 and 1/2. So close to getting full marks but I was so shocked that I won it! 

That's all on the own a pony day.

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...