Skip to main content

Small Goals

Today was the first time riding since we have had all the bad snow and also this month marks a year of me and Gatsby, time sure does seem to fly by without you even realising it! I got there and he kept putting his head out as if to say 'AMBER HURRY UP AND COME SEEE ME!!!' it was really funny. I then spent half an hour grooming him and tacking him up as he was being a muddy pony! I think he roles on purpose when he knows I'm coming the little Monkey. 

Then when I got in I got on and Fiona asked me what I wanted to work on and I said Canter work with Gatsby, we decided that the best way was going to be for me to set myself a small goal, to do this, we decided that I would just canter half a circle. We warmed up walking on a long rein allowing him to stretch as he hadn't been rode that much this week, and he really wanted to stretch. We then changed rein making sure to work evenly on both reins as Gatsby's better side is his right rein. After doing this I spent some time doing rising trot making sure to stay balanced and that he wasn't rushing but was still active to start with he wasn't active. After he became more active we moved on to doing sitting trot work, this was to make both me and him become more balanced and make the transition from trot to canter smoother. When I felt confident that my transition and sitting trot was going well  we decided that it was time to do canter, as you all know about the fall, I was tensed up and getting nervous about doing it. The first and second time that I tried he was being naughty and trying to rush into it, So my riding teacher said that she would get on Gatsby and show me how to get a better smooth transition and guess what? He did exactly the same to her, this made me feel slightly better as it showed me that it wasn't my riding it was just the frame of mind that he had put himself in! Silly horse! Fiona eventually got him to canter and behave and showed me where I was going wrong, I then got back on him and even though the right rein is the rein that I struggle on we decided to try it going to the right first as that is Gatsby's better side, and he went really well, Even though it was only 5/6 strides of canter, it was controlled neat and tidy, which was better for me than a bad canter and doing lots of it. I then tried on the left rein and was surprised to see that we struggled more on the left than we did on the right, it was really odd. There was also a girl watching our lesson who rode at broomfield college where we used to ride. She was saying that she wasn't happy to be riding there especially not with Arthur and that was when Fiona told her about how both Me and Gatsby used to be there and how we had both moved, and you could see the difference in how we rode now. I then put his stable rug on and his new Zealand rug with the hood on to keep him warm as the temperatures were dropping rapidly. Then also introduced Gatsby to the girl who had come to watch and she seemed to really like the big fella. 

Amber you are now officially my head rest and are not allowed to move or you'll be in trouble!

Pony was dropping in to the outline

Amber, Amber, loook I can stretch this was on a loose rein and just after it was taken he through his head up and started shaking he is such a silly boy at times.


Fiona, Me and Gatsby.


Fiona getting on to show me and help me with Gatsby, she has shorter legs than me though so had to change the stirrup lengths, I was just out of this shot and he kept looking at me as if to say 'How dare you be on the floor, you are supposed to be riding me!'

'see amber I can canter i just didn't want to,  I love this pictures because it gives an idea of how excited he gets when cantering, and here he was trying to speed up but he didn't we half halted and kept going and didn't stop until I said it is time to stop.

Cantering with Gatsby.
Until Next Time, 
A very proud and happy Girl With A Dream

Comments

  1. he is a big boy, looks like a good ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he's 17hh, I never thought I'd be able to ride such big horses! It was so Much fun thanks K.K. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small goals is definitely the way to do it if you are lacking in confidence. If you take it one step at a time youll be an old pro in no time. Gatsby is gorgeous. Love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are, cause before I just wanted to be able to do what I used to be able to do before my fall, and now I can't, so I was getting soo annoyed but that is going to change each week I am going to set myself a small goal and accomplish it to build my confidence :D Thanks for the compliments on Gatsby I do love him :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...