Skip to main content

Gatsby - Canter and Pole Work

Gatsby is such a fantastic horse! We had a really good ride today even though it was raining, haling, sleeting and almost snowing! The weather was awful but Gatsby made getting wet worth every single minute! I groomed and tacked him up and made sure he was all comfy, and then got on when I first got on I couldn't decide whether I wanted to do Pole work or canter work so Fiona said why not do both we could canter and do pole work, I got really excited. The exercise that I did was super fun and something that Gatsby and I really took to. What we had to do was Trot over three trotting poles making sure he was in an outline and forward then as soon as we were over the last pole we had to go in to canter doing a 20metre circle then just before we got back to the trotting poles we had to transition to trot. Now the last part would be the fun part with Gatsby because once he gets going doing pole work he doesn't want to stop doing pole work and the same with his canter work. So Fiona and I predicted that he was going to get excited and not stop and want to canter over the poles so we were surprised when the first time we did the exercise he went straight over the pole, we had a nice transition to canter, and an okay transition to the trot, however the second or third time that we did the exercise Gatsby decided that he wanted to canter over the poles, so we let him do it to get it out of his system, we then cantered the 20m circle and asked him to return to trot when he decided that he didn't want to stop, we missed the poles and went large around the school. We did this on both reins and found that for us the right rein was better. By the time we got on to the left rein I was starting to feel tired and feel my muscles really aching, and was having problems with keeping my left leg still. So I think next week I'm going to do whatever canter work I do on the left rein to start with and then move on to my better rein which is my right rein. 

I also managed to get some pictures to, the bike race that my brother should have been doing today he decided that he wasn't doing which meant that my mum could come riding with me and allowed me to get some pictures.

Things with my Nan have not settled down, she's been feeling sick none-stop and now is having bad problems with her breathing things are definitely not looking good at the moment! We've got a care plan in action for over the weekend and we are waiting for a doctor to come out and see her as she's really struggling to breathe. It's really sad to see because you don't know what to say/do or how to react around. 

Now on to some horse pictures 

Love this picture I think there is something just natural about this photograph I think you can really se how relaxed and chilled out Gatsby and I are and look I was even riding without stirrups! 


starting to work in an outline.
Better picture that shows Gatsby rounding up in to an outline. He's really trying his hardest he is such a good boy! 



Love how Gatsby's neck and head look, this boy has put in so much confidence in me and him and i are so much more chilled out than we used to be. 

I really love this picture in it you can see how happy and excited Gatsby is he loves cantering and being able to splash around in the water and puddles it was such a good combination! Now all we need to do is get Gatsby to work in an outline in the canter, he's trying but he doesn't think he does it so I just need to support him a bit more.









Until Next Time
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...