Skip to main content

Uni, Riding and Pony Club

Another eventful day has been had today but it ended in wicked horse time at the stables! What more could a girl ask for right? 

Mondays means its a full day at uni followed by rushing to the stables and then chilling out. This afternoon I had my lesson on Gatsby where we worked on cantering and oh my god it was amazing. The transitions were not always the best but we are working on that, we cantered a lot, managing to go from one point to the next point without breaking from the canter. We did lots of circles and long side combinations and it felt so good! After the canter work that we did on saturday I was really really expecting my canter to be shocking today but I just managed to get on with it put saturday behind me and do what I do best, enjoy my time with a wonderful horse. We are also now getting to the point where I can work Gatsby in to an outline in-between the moments of canter that we are getting. 

Then it was time for Pony Club, we started off the evening by putting the ponies new paddock together. Big Rocky and stan have both got really bad mud fever. So we are trying to sort out a smaller paddock for those guys so they can still get out and thats on dryer ground. All the kids collected together the poles for the electric fencing and the electric fencing and then learnt how to place the poles and how to put the electric fencing up and together. After this we spent an hour putting to bed and I got Percy. He is such a good horse, I'm slowly starting to like him more and more and I really enjoy doing things with him. He was really good to be brushed, skipped out, hay put up and water topped up all of this was done without tying him up. I can see myself spending more time with him in the future but only time will tell with that. 

On that note i'll finish with my five good things Gatsby did during our ride. 
1. Maintained self carriage while cantering without having to be forced. 
2. Responded very well to the slightest leg aids and engaged in what we were doing. 
3. Because I have a week left leg, to maintain the canter I have to tap him up using the crop, Gatsby listened to this very well and allowed me to be gentle with it but keep him going when my leg couldn't keep going. 
4. Good transitions from trot to canter. They were sharp and effective. 
5. Looked for the contact, if I had not got a good enough contact Gatsby looked for this and let me know that he needed me to take hold of him more. While keeping in an outline.

On that note I will leave you with a photograph of a photo that I printed at uni today using the darkrooms, my first 5x4 film developed and printed by myself. 


Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream 

Comments

  1. Wow that photo is amazing!! Good job!!

    What does skipped out mean? I can usually figure out what you mean when you use British terms even when I've never heard them before, but I can't figure that one out lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I was so surprised how this photograph turned out it is one of my favourites.


      Skipping out is similar to mucking out, it just gets done during the day and evening lol and instead of talking both the wet and the poo out the stable you just remove the poo does that help lol? I'm not the best at explaining things.

      Delete
    2. Yes that makes perfect sense! Thanks for explaining it for me. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...