Skip to main content

Confidence.

Today I was reading a section in Horse and Rider magazine to do with a reader's confidence issue, it was in the 'Q&A' (question and answers) section below is what the article said the part in bold is the question in bold and italics is the answer so here goes; 

'I was recently bucked off and tramples. I have now developed a fear of horses, although I would love to work in the equine industry, which has been a life-long dream of mine. How can I overcome my fear?' 
'A career with horses can be very rewarding, but it does carry risks and accepting the risk of injury is important as well as well as learning to stay as safe as possible. Understanding why your accident happened and why you horse bucked is important when trying to regain confidence. Bucking can be caused by a variety of things, including pain, excitement, poorly-fitting tack or a rider fault. I'd recommend enrolling on a course such as the BHS Horse Owner's Certificates, Stage Exams or an Equine Behaviour course to understand more about horse psychology and how to keep yourself safe. When confidence has been lost with horses and riding, it is important to regain it handling them before you attempt to ride again. I would advise you therefor, to find out where your nearest BHS-approved riding school is, have a chat with the staff and see whether there is an opportunity for you to do some voluntary work there. Riding schools often want sensible volunteers, and it would five you the perfect opportunity to gain your confidence with well0mannered horse and qualified staff to advise you. It is important that when you feel ready to ride, you do so within a safe environment. I would advise a BHS-approved riding school for lessons. You can then be sure that instructors are qualified and that they have experience with teaching the nervous rider, and that the facilities are suitable.'

Boy, did that take a long time to type out but it was something that got me thinking, and it made me wonder what you would all think about what they advise you to do when having a lack of confidence. I know when I fell off Arthur (the first time) we were working on jumping a course, which is something that I had done in the previous course, and for ages I over thought about what had happened, constantly blaming different things for why I had fallen off the main one being that Arthur hated me, when in actual fact it wasn't Arthur's fault all that had happened was that I lost my balance, my foot came out of my stirrup and then I fell off. When I stopped over analysing it, it was that simple to understand what had happened. But it did not change the fact that the next time I got on Arthur I didn't feel that happy at all, and still to a certain point do not like riding Arthur, but it is a mental black and something that I AM going to work on so that I can ride him with the confidence I have riding Jake who in many ways is a LOT more dangerous than riding Arthur. I found that with time after a fall and riding a horse that you trusted and knew well that your confidence slowly started to grow.

So what are you thoughts on confidence issue's do you think that is something that in time you can get over, especially when in such an extreme case as the reader felt when she wrote in to 'Horse and Rider Magazine'. I think that in time it is something that you can over come but it something that you have to have the right mental attitude to do as my mum would always say! 

I'm back off to read my magazine and watch 'Red and Black', if there is anything else in my magazine that I decide to write about I will post again later! 

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream.

Comments

  1. I think riding is 49% a mental thing. Of course it takes a lot of skill too but mostly what stops a person moving forward is there brain telling them it's too scary, or that they are going to get hurt.
    I think taking a step back and looking at the situation with an unbiased opinion works great. Also working with well mannered experienced horses can really help get your confidence up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your right.

    whenever i ride my mum always watches me so whenever i think things are getting too tough or that I'm not doing well enough I'll ask her because I know if I'm having a bad day she'll tell me and not just say i'm doing fine!

    Riding deffo is a mental attitude, I proved it to myself with the whole thing about riding Arthur but then I could get on Gatsby and do the same things!

    Gatsby has deffo built my confidence up a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...