Skip to main content

Lateral

Today we have been driving all the way to ripon in Yorkshire, to meet and pick up my brother from his annual camp, which he wasn't enjoying. Me and my mum woke up at 6 am got dressed, picked up Hannah his gf, and drove all the way to be therefor two minutes and to then leave again. So I decided that while we were driving home that I would take the time to post and update you all :)

Well so far there has been nothing remotely horse like in my day except driving past a horse box and saying wish I was ridin now! But so far no luck maybe later though got to stay positive

Today Ive decided to spend some time talking about lateral work doing things like leg yielding, pushing the hindquarters out on to an inner track in a school. When I first started doing leg yielding with gemma on a Wednesday night I thought tht whilst it was good it was also quite hard but I did really enjoy it the first thing that I did was work on turning on the forehand, I did this mainly when riding Gatsby but also once on Arthur however I didn't like doing it on Arthur as much but he was better at doing it than Gatsby! When riding Gatsby trying to turn on the forehand was difficult because instead of turning he would star going backwards, or he would try and rush through it the basic aids for this was pressure behind the girth on the side you want the horse to turn away from. The next thing that we did was leg yielding (where you make the horse move in a diagonal direction, I found this more enjoyable we started off doing it in walk then built up to trot and so far I haven't tried it in canter but I would like to try it in canter! The only problem I had when doing this was that Gatsby would bend his he's to far and fool you in to thinkin that he was doing it when in actual fact he wasn't!

As I am not riding at the minute I have decided that each day I will pick a particular topic to talk about and right something about that, for example today was lateral work tomorrow could be jumping but that is the type of thing that I am going to be doing let me know what you all think?

I would also like to thank you all for sticking with me even though I haven't been posting much thanks guys :)

Until next time
A girl with a dream x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...