Skip to main content

Yesterdays riding Lesson

So Yesterday as you all know I got to ride Gatsby again but I didn't really have time because of how tired I was to tell you what I did during the lesson. I got there early like I always do so that I could spend some time just grooming him and tacking up and when I got there one of the ladies who has her own horse there said 'its only real riders that ride in this weather' which made me laugh. The weather at this point was a lot of rain but it was very fine rain making it look almost like it was a wet fog, was really weird and when I looked at the Arena it was like a lake at the bottom end of the school and then some big puddles at the top end of the school. Fiona said that if it had been a driving wind and really heavy rain that we would not have rode but because it was like it was she said we might as well because in the world of horses we don't get time off because its raining and its cold and we don't want to get wet. So we might as well get used to this now which was fine by me! 

To start with we spent about 10 to 15 minutes walking around allowing the horses to warm up and during this time Gatsby was showing a really good stretch down his neck and he wasn't bothered by the puddles but we didn't think he would be too bothered by the water because he used to do a lot of Cross Country. With the weather as it is at the minute we decided that we weren't going to work on anything that was too complicated and instead were going to spend the majority of the time working on the outline which is something that I tend to struggle with because of my elbows and I can keep my left elbow tucked in but I struggle to keep my right elbow tucked in. However we did get some really nice outlines in places and I did manage to get some nice halts and then get an outline while halting and walk on while keeping the outline which is something that I was really happy with! While in walk we did the exercise that I mentioned yesterday. To start with you would walk up the centre line turning on it from the right at either A or C, then you would walk about 5 steps and start doing a 10 metre circle to the left, making sure to hit the track, get a nice bend and come back on to the centre line straight, then you would walk another 5 or 6 steps and do this to the right repeating this process all the way to the top you would then make a change of rein turning to the left instead of turning back to the right. 

We then moved on to riding the leg yield in the walk and trying to maintain an outline, I had a couple of successful attempts at this but then I also had some were I wasn't quite turning my shoulder back enough and because of doing this I wasn't allowing him to cross his legs enough and he was walking out through his shoulder, which was a pain. We then did some trot work trying to maintain the outline going from the walk in to the trot. I did a couple of times but also had some bad transitions. We originally went back to walk in the biggest puddle however towards the end me and Gatsby kept on trotting through the puddle adding some leg-yields and also managing to maintain an outline, at one point I did lose the outline though and then completely lost the leg yield. So that was my lesson. 

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

  1. It's true, the winter weather shows the true fairweather riders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding in that kind of weather sure does prove which riders are the dedicated ones.
    Sounds like a pretty good lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so fun even though the weather was horrible but after 20 minutes I stopped being able to feel the rain!

    I agree with you both my mate Evie never rides in the rain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...