Skip to main content

A good canter schooling session today

There were no light bulb moments this week, but we did some nice canter work. I spent half an hour brushing him and giving him some love and attention at one point I thought that he was going to fall asleep on me. I'd found an area near his nose/muzzle that he enjoyed having scratched and he just started nodding off it was soo nice! 

I tacked him up and got on him. I knew what I wanted to accomplish that day and that was doing more working cantering and a small amount of work with out stirrups. After I had warmed Gatsby up I took away my stirrups and we kept in walk. We did lots of transitions and asking him to soften. Then at one point he decided that he was going to start backing up on me and not listen to my leg when I asked him to move my forward. After this incident I got my stirrups back and continued asking him to soften. For some reason this week I just couldn't quite get it right, we soon realised that I was asking for way to much bend! He was pushing his head to the left so I swapped my crop in to the other hand and he immediately softened down all I needed to do was switch which side my crop on and that was it! I couldn't believe it. I also realised that on one rein I push my left shoulder forwards and on the other rein I close my hip. When we moved on to canter, we only did a small amount of canter as it was at the end of the lesson but I got a light bulb moment when I was able to rock my hips with his canter movement and because of this he bought his hind end under him, it was amazing! When we'd finished we cooled him down and I just couldn't believe how nice the canter felt. 

Tomorrow I have to be up at 6am I could tell you why but then this wouldn't be a cliff hanger! 

So....

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream 

p.s. Enjoy the suspension 

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...