Skip to main content

The heatwave continues.

Anyone who lives in the UK will know that when the word 'summer' starts being used that we are going to get cold and wet weather! Well not this year for the past two weeks we have had really hot weather (well hot for here ranging from the mid 20's all the way unto 32degrees/89.6 Fahrenheit). Today was no change, when I first woke up this morning I as covered in sweat and I'd not even been under my covers all night.

I got to riding for 12:30 like normal and instantly realised that it was going to be a hot uncomfortable ride, we were riding at what should have been the hottest time of the day. Immediately we said that we wouldn't do a lot of fast work (no canter and small amounts of trot) as we are not used to the height and more importantly the horses are not used to the heat. I rode Gatsby like normal and JaimieLeigh rode Rascal. I started grooming him making sure not to miss anywhere but to stay cool as well. I finished grooming him earlier so I looked at some of the horses that Fiona had been looking at and had to look at them and guess which Fiona, Elaine and my mum would pick. I guessed right for most of them and was impressed that I managed it. My mum had picked a little grey that looked like an Arab and was incredibly cute looking. 

When we got on the atmosphere instantly felt humid I was hot just from sitting on him. We eventually got going making sure to warm them up and get them stretching. It was important that even though it was hot weather that the horses were listening. We first started working on Leg Yields and towards the end we did some work on shoulder in (for me this was without stirrups). It took me a while to get Gatsby in to an outline but once I got him in it it felt so nice, I think my problem was my shoulder and my elbows. My elbows were giving way to much so I mad a strong effort to keep my elbows were they are supposed to be. I eventually moved in to the trot which was going to be easier for Gatsby as it was going to keep the flies off him and that was the most important thing (along with not over heating). It felt great riding him but it was just to hot. My dad came up to watch me for the first time in a while and Jenny also came up to see how he was doing, it was so nice, I really like Jenny and find her a nice person to get on with. I realised that I find it so much easier to ride with out stirrups, other than the fact I couldn't get my leg in place today. It was a good lace and made me realise how much looser my hips need to be, when I worked hard to get them in the right place I got some really nice shoulder-in's but it was opening my hips and moving them that I was struggling with but I got there in the end and finished with no stirrups. 

I also have some exciting news for you but that deserves a post of its own. So... 

Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...