Skip to main content

Riding Gatsby in a field - 5th July 2014 - VIDOES!

Hiya guys sorry it's been a while again, 

well I had the most amazing lesson on Gatsby that I have had in a while on Saturday. I'd got the cutest card ever off my boyfriend that morning which just put me in a good mood and I knew I wanted to do some jumping with Gatsby on the Saturday. I told Fiona I was feeling really positive to which she replied where do you want to jump in the school or in the field. We decided to do some jumping in the open field and omg it was amazing! It felt so different but soo good as well. It was something that I had never done before and something that I can't wait to do again. To start with I just had to get used to how much more excitable and powerful Gatsby felt. He used so many different muscles to ones that I've ever used before. We started off walking around the field (which is on a slight hill) and then we moved on to doing some trot work. I had to adjust to keeping him balanced going uphill and down hill because eventually I would be jumping on the hill. We then did some canter work and let me just say that horse is STRONG! It felt amazing but at the same time it also felt really weird as it was something I'd never done before. We kept picking up the wrong lead but soon moved on to doing circles and figure 8 canter work. 

We then moved on to doing some jump work, we had two small cross poles that worked out to being on points of the 'figure 8' we were doing. I went over the jumps in trot with no placing pole to get used to him. Then we landed cantered part of the circle of the figure 8 before coming back to trot and linking the second jump in. We would do this three or four times in a row. Then take a break and start again. 

We then finally took Gatsby back in to the school and he felt so different, he felt lazy and laid back and I had to pick up a stick/crop for him to get him to listen to me. Doing one jump in the same height as it was in in the field he just trotted over it. He didn't even bother jumping it. So we put it to a straight across, we stayed trotting up to the jump and then cantering away after it. But to get him up and over the jump I had to use a lot more leg and be a lot more forceful with him. Don't get me wrong he was still amazing to ride he was just very different. 

Here's some Videos :) 



Until Next Time 
A Girl With A Dream 

Comments

  1. How exciting! They are very different riding out in the open than they are in the arena hehe. It looks like you handled him well. I do have a question though... you have some sort of martingale on him right? I've never used one, so I don't know much about them, but aren't they supposed to stop him from flipping his head back like that? Or does it have some other purpose? I would be terrified of getting popped in the face when he does that!! I can't wait to hear about your next lesson. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, it was amazing :). He is soo different riding in the field, much more eneergetic and almost playful if that makes sense. Yeah he has a martingale and breastplate on him. I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure they're supposed to stop him flinging his head, he's loads worse without it on though. Was just the flies that were really bothering him that day i think :D I can't wait for my next lesson we seem to be coming on so far

      Delete
    2. Yep playful makes sense. Chrome is that way when we canter because it's still so new for him. I'm glad he's not normally that bad with the head flinging. I wonder if it needs to be a bit tighter though. It looks like if you had leaned forward for any reason that he could have popped you in the face. I'm probably overly paranoid about that though because when I was a teenager I got hit in the mouth with braces and it cut me. Not pleasant!

      Delete
  2. You haven't posted in a while. Everything okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hiya, yeah it's been a while unfortunately. Just been about all over the place recently and trying to keep busy :) but alls good. i'll be back to posting again now :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey everyone feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think of my blog, feel free to ask any questions. Anonymous comments are welcome to!
Thanks for stopping by!
A Girl With A Dream

Popular posts from this blog

CON ARTIST - NICKI WILLIAMS - BEWARE

Okay so this post has taken me a while to post for several reasons but the main one being just how angry this woman has made me.  For those of you that have been following my blog for a long while you will know that back around October of 2016, I was introduced to a woman called Nicki Williams, she was a friend of a friend that was supposed to be opening a centre for rehoming and rescuing animals, but also for horses working with soldiers that has PTSD. We hit it off straight away and came what I thought to be good friends. However warning bells should have probably rang sooner. By January or February of last year the horses that I had agreed to look after (that she had got on loan) Bella and Arthur, she was being threatened that she would have them taken off her by the control of horses act, because she hadn't been paying the rent for the field. Although Nicki reassured me that she had done, she even showed my 'payments' that had been made to Angie. I ended up getti...

Just as you think things are getting better they prove not to be.

On Sunday in the Early hours of the morning my nan took another fall, while she was trying to go to the toilet, (she has an en suite so it wasn't a long way for her to walk but she went all dizzy and then fell), and as she has a small compact bathroom she hit her head on the side of the bath. Today we had the Doctor out to see her and he was worried with the fact that her blood pressure drops so low when she stands up and when following the doctors finger when looking to the right her eye was jerking side ways but not to the left. So he said he wanted her to go in to a Day case unit and have a whole load of tests including a brain scan, blood tests and chest x-rays. He wrote a cover note/letter and my Uncle took my nan to the doctors. While she was there she had an ECG, blood tests and chest x-rays but no brain scan which was the most important one that she needed. They then told her that her blood pressure was fine but it was her heart that they were worried about. She never had ...

an intense few days.

The past few days have been INTENSE to say the least. Both days have been filled with horsey madness and while I am aching now I feel good for managing to accomplish everything that I have done. There will be some video's soon but I honestly just haven't got around to uploading them and editing them so as soon as I do that I'll let you know and you can all see. Yesterday I went up to do Magic, after all the ponies nearly escaped from the field I eventually managed to convince him to come and do some work. He had a really nice groom and fuss, which he LOVED. Then I put his bridle with his new reins on, and his lunge cavesson (not sure if I have spelt that right), we lunged nicely for both ways doing walk, trot and canter. Then out of no where going to the right he exploded. I couldn't see anything that had happened so assumed he was just having one of his moments and that he would be fine and calm down, but that I might need to free school him first. So I did what I...